Friday, July 26, 2013

Week One - quick reflections

SO much work to do. I don't know where to begin. I wasn't able to make it to any face-to-face lectures this week and I think that's set me back. Despite the dual teaching mode, I think that I'm more attentive when attending lectures in a physical capacity so one of my goals this semester is to work on creating a better learning space at home.

Aside from being behind in some lecturers, I'm also already behind in my readings for the first couple of weeks. Last weekend I wrote out a day-by-day action plan but I was unable to carry out most of these tasks because my "free" weekend filled up. And that's just an excuse for the most part. Yes, my days were busy but I could've also better managed my days during the week and done readings in between dog walks and birthday planning. I need to get on top of it this weekend otherwise I'll be setting myself up to head down a tough road.

Week One has also been challenging because different classes do similar but not identical things and there seems to be some overlapping of ideas and conflict of others. I'm hoping that it's first week adjustments and a rhythm will emerge.

Something that I think will help with my studies are Personal Learning Networks (PLNs). I see PLNs as being digital networks you set up among peers and people within the industry so that you can expand your knowledge base and seek guidance from those in the same boat. I'm pro-collaboration and I think it's becoming more and more necessary in the LIS profession (the GLAM concept for example). I believe being exposed to people's insights and unique opinions and being able to bounce my thoughts off other people will be great for broadening ideas and I think PLNs will be valuable for this reason.

Time to hit the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment